Account LoginAccount Login
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

Apply for your Australian visa online

apply here for ETA visa

Use the quick links to help find the answer to your question:

Q: Is there a family ETA?

A: No. All family members must have their own ETA for Australia. The online application form on this site allows for multiple entries. The cost per visa remains the same for each additional application.

Q: My children are included on their mother’s passport. How do I arrange ETA’s for them?

A: Each child will need an ETA. You need to enter the passport details exactly as for the parent, replacing the names, date of booth, sex and country of birth with the children’s details as they appear in the passport.

Q: What is DIAC?

A: The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) is the government department in Australia responsible for managing the entry of people to Australia, the successful settlement of migrants and refugees enabling them to participate equitably in society, and promotion of the benefits of citizenship and cultural diversity.

Q: What do I need to make an application?

A: All you need to make an application for an ETA through this site is your valid passport and your credit card (American Express, Mastercard or Visa) or UK debit card (Switch, Solo)

Q: Do I need a ticket before I apply for an ETA?

A: No. You do not need to arrange your flight to Australia before applying for an ETA. You should not make an irreversible travel plans prior to having a confirmed ETA. 

Q: How do I know if my ETA is still valid for travel to Australia?

A: If you have applied for an ETA through this site, you can enquire through this site to find out the current status of your ETA. You will need to provide the Login details you registered when you applied initially.

If you did not apply for your ETA through this site or did not make a note of the Reference Number, you will not be able to make an enquiry through this site. You will need to contact your travel agent or airline office and they can make the enquiry for you.

Apply for your ETA visa online

Q: How does the airline know I have a visa to travel to Australia?

A: Airlines have access to the ETA database through their reservation systems. They will make an enquiry to determine your visa status when you check in for your flight.

Q: What can I do if I am not eligible to apply through this site?

A: If you do not hold a passport that can be used to apply for an ETA through this site then you will need to obtain an ETA at your travel agent, an airline office or at an Australian visa office. A full list of Australian visa offices can be found on the DIAC web site.

Q: What happens if I already have a visa or ETA?

A: If you apply for an ETA and the system determines that you already have a current visa or ETA with a longer period of stay than the ETA you are applying for, or the current visa or ETA has work rights or residency rights, the application will not be processed.  

Q: How long does it take to process an ETA visa?

A: ETA-visas are able to process your visa the INSTANT you submit your details to us and you will be notified within seconds of a successful visa grant.  On some occasions, for example when a mistake has been made in an application, the application will be referred to manual processing and may take up to two working days to process.

On rare occasions an application may be referred to the Australian High Commission.

Q: What happens when applications are not approved?

A: In a small percentage of cases, this site may not be able to evaluate and approve an application. In these cases, you will need to finalise your application through the nearest Australian visa office. The locations and ETA contact procedures of these offices can be found on the DIAC web site.

Once this site validates your application and determines that you do not already have a visa or ETA, the service charge against your credit card is not refundable.

Q: My application for an ETA was unsuccessful - can I get my £20.00 back?

A: No. The service charge is applied to recover the costs of running the service. As successful and unsuccessful applications use system resources the charge is non-refundable.

However, if you are referred to an Australian visa office to follow up your application for an ETA, you will not be charged again if you are granted an ETA.

If you need to attend an Australian visa office, please take your passport.

Q: What can I do if I make a mistake in my application?

A: Once an application has been submitted and processed, and the credit card payment has been processed, you cannot cancel the transaction and the payment cannot be refunded. It is important that you are very careful when you type in your personal details.

You will have an opportunity to review all the details you have provided on your screen and can change the details at any time until you confirm all details as correct. If you have made an error, it is important that you correct it before proceeding. Once you have confirmed the details, your credit card will be debited for the non-refundable service charge. If you find out later that you have made a mistake, you will have to make a new application (and incur another service charge)

Buy your Australian ETA visa online

Q: How much does this service cost?

A: The service charge for short-term visitors (business and tourist) using this site is currently £20.00 (pound/sterling). There is no additional Visa Application Charge for an ETA. The costs associated with offering this service on the Internet are being offset by the current service charge. Travel agents may impose a processing fee for obtaining an ETA on your behalf.

Q: Can I apply for a Long Validity Business ETA over the Internet?

A: No. To apply for a Long Validity Business ETA, please see your travel agent or airline office.

Q:  I hold a UK British National (Overseas) (GBN) passport but cannot find my nationality on the options list.

A: Unfortunately, ETAs for holders of UK British National (Overseas) (GBN) passports are not available on the Internet at this stage. You will be able to apply for an ETA through the nearest Australian visa office. Your travel agent or airline office may also be able to arrange an ETA for you.

Note, however, that holders of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) passports are eligible to apply through this site.

Q: How long can I stay in Australia?

A: The ETA will allow you to stay in Australia for a maximum of 3 months on each visit.

Q: I am planning a holiday for more than three months in Australia. What should I do?

A: You will need to apply for a visa which allows for a longer stay from your nearest Australian visa office.

Q: My itinerary also includes a side-trip to New Zealand. Is my ETA valid for more than one entry to Australia?

VISITOR ETAs have a multiple entry facility. You can enter Australia as many times as necessary within the validity of the ETA. Provided you have a valid visa for New Zealand (or are exempt), you can travel to New Zealand from Australia and then return as long as your ETA remains valid.

BUSINESS (Short Validity) ETAs have a multiple entry facility. You can enter Australia for business reasons as many times as necessary within the validity of the ETA. Provided you have a valid visa for New Zealand (or are exempt), you can travel to New Zealand from Australia and then return as long as your ETA remains valid.

Q: What conditions apply to my ETA?

A: The conditions applying to ETAs are:

  • You hold an ETA-eligible passport.
  • You must be outside Australia to apply for an ETA.
  • Your visit to Australia is for:
    • Tourism,
    • Visiting relatives,
    • Business meetings, or
    • A convention or conference.
  • You will not work in Australia.
  • You will not stay in Australia for more than three months.
  • You are in good health (including free from tuberculosis).
  • You have no criminal convictions.
  • You use the ETA within twelve months, or before the expiry date of your current passport (whichever comes first).

You should note that you must not overstay your visit to Australia, that is, you must depart Australia before your authorised stay period expires. If you do not, Australian law requires that you be detained and/or removed from Australia. Overstaying may also affect your ability to acquire another Australian visa, including an ETA, in the future.

Where exceptional circumstances arise while you are in Australia, on an ETA, that require you to stay longer than three months, you must obtain another visa from an Australian visa office in Australia before the end of the three month visit period.

Apply here for an Australian ETA visa 

Q: I'm not planning to travel to Australia for 3 months - should I apply for an ETA now?

A: The answer depends on your personal circumstances and preferences. Your ETA is valid for travel to Australia for 12 months from the date it is granted or less if your passport is valid for less than 12 months. You can apply for an ETA at any time and, provided you arrive in Australia within the ETA validity period and you have the same passport you used to apply for the ETA, you may apply for the ETA in advance. However, you should be aware that you will need to apply for a new ETA if your passport expires and you are issued with a new passport.

You can apply for your ETA before purchasing airline tickets. Make sure you let the airline office or travel agent know that you already have an ETA when booking your tickets.

If you have already purchased tickets and your travel agent or airline office has not arranged a visa for you, you can apply for an ETA at any time before departure.

Q: I am in a country that does not have access to ETAs. I have an ETA-eligible passport. Can I use the Internet to arrange an ETA?

A: From the Australian perspective there is no problem. Provided you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply from anywhere in the world that has Internet access. You should, however, check with local authorities to ensure that they do not require a label visa or official stamp in the passport to prove that you have authority to enter Australia.